In this article, we will show you how to add an application to the Windows desktop right-click menu. This can be very useful if you want to quickly open frequently used programs directly on windows desktop.
How to add an application to the Windows desktop right-click menu:
- Go to windows start menu and enter “regedit”. Open regedit app.
- Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell
- Right-click on the Shell and select New > Key
- Enter the name of the program, this will be displayed in the windows desktor right-click menu. In this case we used Notepad
- Click on the Notepad key and select New > Key
- Enter the name of the key “command”
- Find in the file explorer a program launch file you want to use (in this case notepad.exe), press Shift and right-click on the file and select Copy as path.
- Click on “command” on the left side of the registry editor, and then double-click on the Default key in the right side to edit the string value and paste the path you copied in the previous step into field Value data.
- Close the registry editor and try it. Now when you right-click on your desktop, you will see Notepad shortcut in the menu.
- Repeat this instruction to add more programs.