ZIP is an archive file format that supports lossless data compression. A .ZIP file may contain one or more files or directories that may have been compressed.
If you want to send some files through email, or just save some space on your hard drive, the good way is to compress your files and folders into .Zip file.
How to Zip a file in Windows
- Open file explorer and select files you want to compress (hold left mouse button and drag across files)
- Click right mouse button on marked files and choose Send to >> Compressed (zipped) folder
- All marked files and folders will be added to the compressed file. You can now rename it as you wish
- That’s it, your Zip file has been created, now you can send it by e-mail etc.
- If you want to unpack files from Zip file, just double click on the file and drag and drop files inside archive into the folder you want.
How to Zip a file in Mac OS X
- Create file folder and move or copy there files you want to have in archive
- Right click on the folder and choose Compress “your folder name”
For both operating systems, you can also use one of many good archiving programs like: