One of the best ways to speed up the performance of an older laptop is by increasing its memory. In this article, we will show you, How to replace RAM in a laptop or add new.
- Shut down your computer. Don´t use hibernation or sleep mode
- Unplug the AC adapter and all other cables that run to the laptop (USB, LAN, Audio, VGA..)
- Turn your laptop up side down. If it is possible, remove your battery.
- At the bottom side of your laptop localize slot for RAM. It can be separate slot only for RAM replacement, or some laptop models have covered bottom side completely by one cover.
- On some models, you can find on the cover memory logo. This indicates that under this deck you can find RAM.
- Unscrew the cover screws with a cross-point screwdriver.
- Open the cover. Most of the laptops have “grip” for opening the cover.
- You will see slots with RAM module. Before you touch RAM module, ground yourself! Touch any grounded metal surface, like a light stand, or touch the center screw on an electrical outlet.
- If you want to remove RAM module from its slot, push apart the clips holding it in place. The memory module should pop up at an angle.
- Now gently remove the RAM module from the slot.
- If you want to place new RAM module, pick up the memory module by its sides and aim its connectors toward the socket at a 45° angle. Be sure you match the key in the socket
- Use even pressure with your fingers at the top of the module to push it into place. When you hear a click and feel the memory module snap into place, firmly push the module back until it is installed flat and level, with the clips holding it securely.
- Close the cover and lock it down with the screws
- Restart your laptop and check the function of your RAM in your system.
Share this article with your friends!