In this tutorial we will show you, how to make animated GIF picture with Gimp. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image retouching and editing, free-form drawing, converting between different image formats, and more specialized tasks.
You can download Gimp for free here.
How to make animated GIF picture with Gimp:
- Open the Gimp
- Go to File > New
- Select your final image size and confirm OK
- Select your images you want to use for animated GIF creation and drag and drop them on the Gimp.
- Now delete the background layer. Right mouse click on background layer and select Delete Layer
- Check all your layers, if you have it in correct order (at bottom is first picture). If not, sort it. Just drag and drop layers in correct order.
- Go to Filters > Animation > Optimize (for GIF)
- Your image will be optimized and will be opened new window.
- Go to Image > Mode > Indexed
- In the dialog window set Generate optimum palette (255), Color dithering: None and press Convert
- Almost done, now you must save your animated GIF. Go to File > Export as
- At the bottom of dialog window choose Select File Type
- and choose GIF Image
- On the top of dialog window enter the name of new file and path where it will be saved
- Press Export
- In the dialog window mark checkbox As animation and set the Delay between frames (1000ms = 1sec). Press Export
- Done, your animated GIF has been created. In this tutorial we created this animation: