Banking may have gone high tech but checks are still very much in use. Writing a check is a safe and secure way to pay bills and transfer money between people and businesses. Here’s how to do it.
- Write the date in the top right corner. Write today’s date either way: June 12, 2017 or 6/12/17.
- Enter the name of your recipient. This is the person or company who is getting your money. Write out their full name correctly.
- Enter numeric amount in the box. The amount of the check is written in this box.
- Enter amount in words. This will be the same amount that you wrote in step 3, e.g., One-hundred dollars and 55/100
- Fill out the Memo space (optional). The bottom left-hand corner of your check includes a space to tell the recipient what his or her payment is for. It could be “Donation” or “Car repair” etc. Take note that this space is optional, except when specified by the recipient.
- Sign the check exactly as you’ve signed your signature card when you opened your account. You should do this step last, and only after everything else on the check has been filled out.
Share this article with your friends!