Don’t buy expensive vanilla sugar, here is an easy tutorial How to make vanilla sugar at home. Vanilla sugar can be used anywhere you would use granulated sugar, but it’s especially wonderful as a finishing sugar, sprinkled on top of cakes, cupcakes, creme brulee, homemade caramels, or ice cream.
Ingredients for vanilla sugar:
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla pods
How to make vanilla sugar:
- Split the beans lengthwise.
- Scrape out the tiny seeds inside and cut up empty bean pods into large pieces with a knife.
- Pour 2 cups of white sugar into an airtight jar.
- Stick it all the bean parts down into the white sugar.
- Seal tightly and give it a good shake to evenly distribute the seeds.
Vanilla sugar becomes more strongly flavored over time. It’s best to wait at least two weeks before using them to give the vanilla time to infuse the sugar.
Stored in a cool, dry place, vanilla sugar should last indefinitely.