French toast, also known as eggy bread, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast, poor knights (of Windsor), or Spanish toast, is a dish made of bread soaked in milk, then in beaten eggs and then fried, a variation from the traditional Spanish dessert called Torrija.
Here is one simple recipe, how to make french toast.
Ingredients for french toast:
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- vanilla to taste
- cinnamon to taste
- nutmeg to taste
- pinch of baking powder
How to make french toast:
- Let the bread sit out overnight and dry out.
- Mix 3-4 eggs in a medium bowl, crack the eggs then beat with a whisk or large fork.
- Add 1 cup of milk. Beat well until eggs are frothy, about 15 seconds.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg to taste and a pinch of baking powder.
- Pour mixture into shallow pan or pie plate.
- Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter on the griddle.
- Place bread onto the griddle and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit.